Translate

Thursday 15 August 2013

Another Lament

Regret and tears fill
My sunken and wrinkled eyes
As my withering body
With my bent back
Never to be straightened!
As I know that the grave
Is near me than never
Regret filled my slowly beating heart!

As I look at the young ones
Running innocently around
Crying for their mothers milk
And the adults
Returning from the farms
Bearing the heavy fruits
Of the days labour
And homeward they
Plow their weary way
Regret fill the hollow of my wasted years!

As the sun is setting
With the moon shining
And the mortars pounding
And the babies chuckling
And the kids laughing
And the men drinking
I could not but weep
That Africa has lost a lot
And regret that I
The last of my generation
Will soon go
Leaving nothing but tales!

No comments:

Post a Comment