Translate

Thursday 14 November 2013

CONRATSATION



Conratsation

I was just back from a long tiring journey
Bread and Akara in a nylon bag
To serve me as a tasty dinner
I settled down sleepily
To eat myself prescribed balanced diet
After which I washed it down
With a sachet of cold pure water
 Setting the stage for a peaceful
Night sleep which is to follow.

I lied on my back
To get the much needed sleep
Which came not too long after
I had slept for God-knows-when
When a sound near my bed woke me.
Being stone tired
I opened my sleep infested eyes a little to see
A most daring sight which took sleep
Completely off my heavy eyelids.
Picking comfortably the crumbs of bread
And Akara which I forgot to clear
Before sleeping off was a rat...

The rat was small, dark
With its characteristic long tail and whiskers.

I took care not to scare it off
Got a good hold of myself
And launched an assault for it
Hoping to catch it with my bare hands.
My attack was successful
Because it had thought I was deep asleep
And also enjoying his God given meal.

Safe in my hands,
I looked at it and said
“You are very brave, you saw me lying on
The floor and you dare come and eat
Near me. Don’t you know I’ll wake up?”
I said this without any thought
Of getting any response but
I got a shocker when the rat opened his mouth and replied,
“I know you were asleep
But because of you, won’t I eat?”
The shock almost made me drop him
But I recovered and thus began our conversation.

“Why do you live in houses?”
“Because there is plenty of supply of food.”
“Why do you destroy our foods?”
“Because we have to eat.”
“Why do you come out only when it is dark?”
“Because it is blinding by day
But very soon, we will get sunglasses just like you humans
And we will be able to conduct our business
During the day and rest at night.”

“Do you know that very soon you will go into extinction
Because of the rate at which we kill you?” asked I
“We can’t go into extinction
Because the more you kill us
The more we give birth.
We don’t control our birth like you humans,
And since you people still live in houses,
We will still increase in population.” He replied.

“Do you know that we hate your guts
And prefer your brothers in the bushes?” Pressed I.
“I know that, but what you humans don’t know
Is that we are more nutritious than
Our bush brothers .
We eat everything you eat
But they only eat grasses.
We are grateful you don’t eat us
So we are going to increase our birth rate.” Boasted he.

This statement said by him
I thought for some minutes
And found to be true.
But I remained unperturbed firing another salvo,
“Why do you hate cats?”
“We don’t hate them, some of them hate us.
But because they eat us,
That is why we avoid them but you don’t know.
If you humans also eat us,
We will depart from your home.
But never worry, we are working
On a pally with the cats;
So look out.” Said he emphatically.

“Why don’t some of you die after eating Indocid?”
You humans don’t know that
We also drink water.
After eating Indocid,
We begin to feel funny
Then we drink water, any water!
Then we drink water and the result is
We don’t die. Only those that
Never have the chance to drink water
Die after eating Indocid. So, man
Get something more powerful and effective.”

The conversation would have gone on
But for my sleepy eyes and his family’s call
To him. I know they have a den
Somewhere unknown to me in my roomy palace.

At this stage, I know not what
To do with him, whether to kill him
Or let him go
Or even strangle him
Or even eat him,
To test his claim to nutrition and balanced diet
Content in his hairy, smelly and small body.
But I decided against others
And choose to threaten him.
And Lo! It worked for me!!!
This is what and how I did it...

“Now,” said I
“I will leave you to go.
When you get to your smelly hole,
Tell your family that you should
Get your dirty smelly selves out of my room forever
Because if you don’t,
Anytime I catch you, I will roast,
Boil, cook, and fry you before eating you.
Is that clear?” shouted I.
At this, he began to shiver
Then he said, “Clear, very clear!”
So I set him down and to his hole, he ran.

To his family he ran and off I slept.
What transpired among them I knew not.
But since then, noticed I,
Not a single rat is to be found
In the vicinity of my palatial room...

So friends,
Why not try this out
And rid your home of this pestilence
Called Rats!!!


© Yettocome™ 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment