Translate

Thursday 21 November 2013

Ade's Chronicle 18

Ade’s Chronicle 18

The look on their faces changed from the initial expectant look to that of horror as the reality of the question hit them. They looked from Rotimi to me and then to one another. They were debating inwardly whether to answer my question or not to.

“A lie will not help your case. Just say it as it is and we shall move from there. You should know that I am very good in detecting lies. So don’t even think of lying to me.” I intoned.

That statement added to their mystery. Their faces became white and their eyes became red. What they had earlier relished and spoken with pride had become a source of immediate sorrow to them.

Rotimi looked at me and smiled. He knew that I had woven them into a tight corner and only the truth could set them free. Both of us had the gift of lie detection but mine was sharper than his. He would detect a loophole in a lie after giving it a second thought, mine was instantaneous. I do not know how I came about it, till now. Something just rings in my mind and tells me that what you have just said is a lie and I would put it to you straight as it is. Then it’s either you deny it or call me a wizard.

The three girls thought for some time and put their heads together for some minutes. I pretended as if I did not see them and I could hear them whispering to themselves. Then they breathed deeply which I took as a sign of telling me that they were ready.

“So are you ready to tell me?” I asked.
“Yes sir.” They chorused.
“I am all ears.”

I listened with rapt attention as the silence in the room became deafening. Bola spoke.

“Sir, we were taught by Miss Shola.”

I laughed loudly and I knew that the girls would have thought that I was sick. The laughter was so loud that it reverberated through the room and anybody passing outside would not have a difficulty in hearing it. What she said was not enough to elicit such laughter but I had learnt in life that shock has a way of making you do things that you won’t do naturally. I was shocked by their revelation. I had expected that it would be someone who I did not know. Somebody they had met outside the school. Shola never crossed my mind in the least of minutes. I was caught offside.

I looked at Rotimi. He was also caught badly by it. He just opened his eyes and mouth wide open dripping saliva. He was shell shocked. He was the closest to Shola of the two of us. I naturally had a dislike for the lady but Rotimi was unusually warm towards her and she searched and looked for all avenues to get close to me.

Thursday, 21 November 2013
© Yettocome™ 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment