Translate

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Ade's Chronicle 33-36



Ade's Chronicle 33
I had met 'Dara at a time when I people had been doubting my prowess as a man. I had not been a saint all along but I was not a player. It was just that my heart had refused to go along with anybody. Girls and ladies swarm around me but I had always tell them I was not interested. Some had even called me impotent and I had shown one or two of them that I was not. They had left my room then in school crying.

Oluwadarasimi was a three hundred level student of Economics in our school then. I had met her when I was in the office of one of our lecturers. My heart had skipped a beat as she came in to ask of Mr Adeola who was not in. I had chatted her up as a sharp guy and we had become friends.

I asked her out when I was leaving for service and convinced that what I felt for her was love and not infatuation. She had agreed and after I finished service, she had gone for hers. She was still serving when I proposed marriage to her and she accepted not knowing that she had been double dating.
I never knew also that she was a great actress and pretender or was I blinded to the facts and reality because of the love I had for her? To me she was perfect except for the too much make up she wears and some attributes I admired in Shola that she does not have. Maybe I was really at fault. Or she was just a devil in an angel's cloak.

I came back to reality to see Rotimi still pacing nervously. His mood was foul. He had called his fiancee and told her what happened. She had requested to speak to me and I had said no. But I never knew I said it.

I went to the kitchen to get water. I looked around and got our first aid box where we put our drugs. I took out the pack of Indocid- we bought it in packs because of the rats in our compound- then I got six tablets of paracetamol after emptying six capsules of Indocid on my palm. I got six tablets of piriton- that was also in abundance because we mixed it with the Indocid- and seven tablets of folic acid.

I had closed the box and was sitting on the bed thinking of swallowing them down when NEPA flooded the room with light and Rotimi caught a sight of what was in my palms.
''Eewoooh oh! A n wona m!'' Rotimi shouted as he slapped the palms holding the deadly combinations. The drugs scattered around the floor all over the room. He sat near me on the bed and began lecturing me on how it was sinful to take one's life. He said if I die, what will become of him.
'' you no know say, if you kpai cos of one elle, na plenty elle go match where dem bury you put? Ol boy, she don do her own, God go do him own na. See, if you kpai now. Who go come be my madman friend? Bros I no say e pain you wella, but im no be the end for the world na. See you be fine boy, plenty elle dey wey go do with you na. You know as e take be for school back then. No be dem dey come toast you? Forget am, she no worth am. If you kpai na im she go dey form James Bond for people say man kill imself cos of am. No be you talk am say she no even fine reach Shola say if Shola never get guy you for try work im levels? You go see babes jo. Make we stroll find something chop cos I dey hungry o and I no fit leave only you o.'' He said.
I looked at his face and saw the fear and anguish registered in it. I burst into another round of tears. He never told me to stop because he believed that crying purges you of emotions.

Twenty minutes later, I was ready to hit the streets. I switched on my phone and the first call to come in was 'Dara.
''Hello,'' I said in a cool, calm, and collected voice.
''Hello Ade, I am sorry please. I was worried when your phone was switched off...'' She was saying when I interrupted her.
''I am okay, thanks. It's alright we will be at your wedding. Regards to your fiancé.'' I was about to end the call when Rotimi asked to talk to her.
''Hello madam!'' He said.
''Rotimi, please I know how sad he would be. Please don't let him hurt himself.'' She begged.
''Hurt himself you say? Please spare me those talks. My friend is alright o. He didn't even cry for your info. He was just surprised at your cruel wickedness. That's all. We will be at your wedding as he said. And please regards to your fiancé and parents. Good night and happy preparations.'' He ended the call and we both laughed at his lie that I didn't cry. Who knows where I would have been by then had NEPA not restored power. I looked back at that day as a whole and I laughed. How much more can a man get in a day? From being very happy at solving someone's problem to being heartbroken and almost in the jaws of death.

We got the suya and La Casera we needed and headed back home. We ate and watched the news on Channels TV before I my mum's call came in to confirm if I had not done anything stupid. I laughed and asked her to thank God and Rotimi for helping me. I didn't tell her that I almost killed myself lest she runs to Lagos the following day. I spoke with my dad too and he prayed for me also.

I went to bed feeling very empty...

© Yettocome™ 2013
Ade's Chronicle 34
Sleeping after a heartbreak has a kind of healing power that I cannot describe. Though it had been argued that even sleeping after a heartbreak could prove disastrous as you could experience nightmares which might compound your heartaches. But it is also said that the latter occurs mostly if you think much about it before going to bed.

The former was the case with me. After the cold hands of death's brother caught me under the watchful eyes of Rotimi, I remembered nothing till my phone's alarm woke me up feeling very refreshed and light headed. But immediately I sighted the ring on the table, memories of the previous evening came flooding back but I swept it off as I sluggishly prepared for work.

Rotimi managed to prepare noodles that morning but I had no appetite at all. He left me but made sure I drank enough water to last a lifetime after which we left for work.

In school, the principal announced on the assembly that a guidance counselling unit would soon be established in the school. He also added that, ''From tomorrow till Friday, a psychologist will be in school to address all staff and students on some acts that I have noticed among you all, staff included. This expert too will have private counselling sessions with some selected members of staff that have been noticed to have the said acts as well as some students with questionable traits. Then he will have private sessions with any other person who might be having any challenge. Either academic, professional, marital, domestic, or psychological challenge, all will be addressed and tackled by the expert. He will be around on the assembly first tomorrow, then the private sessions will take place in the office that we have created for him. It is the office behind the canteen. Just go there to see him. I implore you all to take this opportunity to solve one or two things that might be hindering you in any way. The school time table has been suspended for the two days, normal academic activities resume on Monday. Lastly, this was done in conjunction with two brilliant members of our staff, Messrs Rotimi and Ade as you know them. They are instrumental in getting the renowned doctor of psychology to pay us a visit without taking a kobo from the school's purse. We say thank you to the two of them.''

With that, the whole hall roared into a big applause. Our heads swelled twice their sizes. We had not expected the principal to talk about our involvement in the planning of the sessions. I thought in my mind, 'If somebody rejects us as theirs, some others will accept us as theirs.' That also lifted my spirit a bit before the students marched to their classes to receive their lectures for the day.

Shola saw my countenance at the assembly ground and immediately we got to the staffroom she demanded to know what happened to one of her new found trusted friends. I told her nothing was wrong with me and we all left for our classes.

By break time, she came with a full force firing an all cylinders demanding again to know why my face wore such a sombre look. Rotimi was seated at his corner attending to the three girls who wanted to know the details of the principal's announcement and the level of our involvement. They had started with me and when they had got no favourable response from me and my bad face, they switched to Rotimi who was patient enough to answer their questions untiringly. They had poked and poked him to tell them when they would 'see' me and why I was in such a mood as I was that day. Rotimi had told them that things happened for a reason and all things in life are like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle that gets fixed after many trials and errors. He also told them that one cannot be happy everyday, so my day was like that because it was time for me to be sad. I did as if I never heard them. Rotimi is a friend.

Shola refused me space and peace all through the break time because I rejected all her avenues to tell her what was wrong with me. I still by then had no appetite and when I saw that I needed peace, I followed her to the canteen where I told her what happened. She was short of words at first, but she later pacified me and told me almost all what I had heard the previous night except the parts of Rotimi's advice about our stay in school.
Shola promised that I would stay with her till I recovered from my heartbreak. I tried to disagree but she would hear none of it.

School closed for the day and Shola accompanied us home to pack our bags and things we would need for four days. It would be the first time that we would be sleeping outside our house apart from travelling home.

We went back to Shola's house with me still in my sombre mood and Rotimi and Shola chatting away as Shola prepared what she said would be a surprise to me since I had refused to eat since the day's morning.

As the smell of vegetable soup wafted into my nose from the kitchen, I could not but battle the Dara's sweet and sour memories from my mind...

© Yettocome™ 2013
Ade's Chronicle 35
After what seemed to me like ages and amidst lots of banter between them, Rotimi and Shola emerged from the kitchen bearing the 'special' meal. It was vegetable soup and pounded yam. She had used the electric pounder and not the mortar and pestle. Technology had indeed made life easy.

We sat down and ate the food and I must say, it was delicious. Shola was a good cook. She forced me to eat much of the food and I was grateful for it. Thirty minutes later, we settled in front of the television for the normal dose of news. This time on NTA because I had told them I need to sleep early. Thirty minutes into the news, I dozed off and was woken by Shola who guided me to the room where our things were already placed. She was talking animatedly on the phone to someone I thought had to be her boyfriend. I cared less; sleep took me as soon as I hit the bed.

My alarm woke me at its normal time. I got up and wiped sleep out of my eyes wondering where I was. Rotimi was sprawled on the bed with his hands and feet pole apart. I observed the room well and remembered where I was. I got out of the bed and in the process waking Rotimi who said something inaudible and went back to bed.

I had my bath and prepared for work. I was saying my prayers when the door opened after a light knock and Shola came in beaming with smiles. She greeted me and woke Rotimi who reluctantly got up and dressed for work too.

I reminded them that it was a Thursday and they told me that they had not forgotten what would happen that day. Shola went out and came back fully dressed for work and with a light breakfast of bread and tea. I attacked it with a lot of gusto. I had gradually become myself after all the events of the past two days. I was begining to like Shola the more but I was cautious, else, I embarrass myself. She was not really the kind of picture we had prior to knowing her fully. She was just a right person with the wrong experiences. One of life's ironies!

We left home and headed for school around seven a.m. Shola called Dr. Tanimowo immediately we got to school and apologised for our inability to call him the previous day. She explained what happened to me in brief and he requested to talk to me. He joked over it and told me to cheer up as a broken relationship is way better than a broken marriage. I thanked him and told him I had begun to go back to my normal self. He added that he had thought we would not call him and that he had planned to surprise us by coming to the school without calling us. Dr. Tanimowo had arrived Lagos from the North where our school was the previous day and had gotten the direction and location of the school from its official website.

We asked the hotel he was lodged in and he told us the name. It was just twenty five minutes drive from the school. Dr. Tanimowo was preparing to come to the school. We gave him directions again and he said he would be there by nine thirty. We ended the call when we heard the pleasant recorded voice of the network provider's machine telling us that Shola's airtime is to finish in a minute.
The assembly came and went. The principal re-iterated his statement the day before and asked if the students were prepared. They all answered in the affirmative. He dispersed them after telling them to get ready for date with Dr. Tanimowo.

At nine a.m, the Principal called us to his office to inquire about the Dr's arrival and we told him that he was already on his way. He took us to the place where would be the Dr's office for the two days and we were satisfied with what we saw. The place was well organised and befitting for a counselling session. He said all other things would be added at the Dr's request. We went back to the staffroom and he left for his office. All through, I was nervous, so was Rotimi, we were the center of attraction.

The trio came to our office and asked their questions again. We told them that their lives would change after the encounter with the Dr. They never understood what we meant.

At nine thirty five, my phone rang, it was the principal summoning the three of us to his office. As we stepped out of the room, th emergency bell rang. I knew it was time.

We headed to the office in our usual fashion, Rotimi, Shola, Ade. In front of the administrative block was a Toyota Camry car which looked familiar. It was the Dr. Tanimowo's younger brother's car that he drives to our school then. I smiled and tapped Rotimi who also noticed the car. We explained to Shola wondering why Dr had lodged in a hotel rather than staying with his brother. His brother was a rich trader who deal in textile and gold which he buys from the north. Our oga is an enigma!

As we approached the office, we noticed that all other offices were open and they all seem to be captivated by the visitor they had. We went in and we came face to face with my lecturer who I had last seen two years before then but who had not changed much and had come to help, Dr. Olumide Tanimowo...

© Yettocome™ 2013
Ade's Chronicle 36
Dr Tanimowo sat on one of the chairs facing the principal. He did not see us when we entered because the door was left opened as the school's principal officers trooped in to greet him. So when he saw the smile on the face of the principal, he turned to look at the people who had just come in. He saw us, smiled as he stood up to give us a hug each and said,
''My two troublesome boys, how una dey?'' It was sure he was happy to see us after two years.
''We dey o. No be you teach us how to shoot wahala?'' said I.
He slapped our backs and said again, ''Una still never shange o. Una just go become big. Ah ah! Wetin una dey shop?''
''Oga mi, you too no shange jo. That ya wife dey do better work for ya body o. Na only small remain make we no sabi you again. But sha, you do well. Welcome sir.'' Rotimi said as we all cursied.

The Principal stood watching us as we chatted, laughed and bantered in pidgin. He was surprised at the camaraderie we exuded. Shola was not in the least surprised as she had witnessed much of it before then and had even participated in it.

After greeting his boys, Dr. Tanimowo said, ''And you must be Shola?''
She replied in the affirmative.
''Wow! You actually are more radiant than the way you sound on phone, I must say. Hope you didn't mind my not recognising you earlier and hope these boys haven't troubled you much?''
Shola smilingly thanked him and said imitating us, ''Dem no fit trouble me sir, I be dem mama.''
We all laughed at her joke.

Fifteen minutes later, a teacher came to tell the principal that the assembly hall had filled up and the students were waiting for us. Immediately, we left for the venue of the action. I carried my lecturer's briefcase while Shola carried his laptop bag and Rotimi had to make do with his jacket. The principal walked in front while we followed in the rear after Dr. Tanimowo.

We got to the hall at exactly ten a.m. All the students had an expectant look on their faces and rose to greet as we entered the hall. The principal took the microphone and introduced the guests.
''The day I have been telling you about is finally here. We have amidst us from the great Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, a great man and a Professor of Psychology. He flew in from Zaria last night and is here this morning to help us tackle our challenges as he calls it. Give a round of applause to Dr. Olumide Tanimowo.''
The hall roared in response to his command as Dr. Tanimowo stood for recognition. The principal invited Rotimi, Shola and I to the high table where all other senior members of staff were seated. We really felt like VIPs.

Dr. Tanimowo finally took the stage and started his lecture. His laptop was in front of him but he did not switch it on. Only the three of us knew, he hated reading his prepared notes.

''Good morning ladies and gents, sorry, boys and girls or should I say, miniature men and women?'' The students laughed at his statement.
''It's not funny o. What you are is different from what people see you as. That is the begining of our individual challenges. And language doesn't help at times, you might be something that you want to express but the right word for it might not exist in language. Now, the language say you are boys and girls but I know some of you won't like that tag. Am I wrong?'' He asked.
''No sir!'' chorused the obviously excited students.
''So I want you to know that perception is the greatest instrument to individual psychological challenges and solutions. There are many ways to fall into teenage and adulthood crises as had been highlighted to me. Some might be through rape, through peer pressure, through indoctrination, through influence, etc, but it is the way you perceive yourself that will determine the way you respond to other means of these challenges. For instance, a victim of rape might see him or herself as an outcast and as such believe that the best way is to do such to others and thus, the trend continues. While another victim of such might just perceive him or herself as a victim of circumstance and see it as a wake up call to end such ill. So my dear listeners, though it is arguable that individual perception does not work in all cases of our societal challenges, such as the case of those forced into prostitution, it still remains that your mind belongs to you and you have virtual control over it. You choose what to believe and what not to believe. So believe in your positive abilities and all negativities will fall by the wayside even if you had been forced to do them. It is your positive mind that will create a way out for you.
I am still around and look forward to seeing you all individually as we chart a way out of your individual challenges. Thank you.''
Everybody including the principal who had been shaking his head all through the lecture gave a rasping applause to him as he left the podium.

Questions and answers followed and the personal sessions began in his makeshift office. The students trooped in...

© Yettocome™ 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment