Translate

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Ade's Chronicle 27



Ade's Chronicle 27
December 16, 2013 at 9:24pm
Rotimi's call to me brought me out of the deep thought I was in. Food was out of the question for us that night. Brainstorming had a way of making you hungry yet you wouldn't feel it.
''How we go take do this thing?'' Rotimi asked a JAMB question for the umpteenth time. He had been pacing the length and breadth of our room since we entered from Shola's house. He was murmuring incoherent words to himself, a habit he exhibits when he is tensed and confused as well as trying to fashion out solutions to problems. In the middle of the murmuring, he would talk aloud to anyone who is lucky to be present with him. The words are usually final statements or foolish questions.
So as he asked his questions, I just kept silent in the corner where I sat brooding and thinking. NEPA made things worse as there was no power supply. We did not even bother to put on any light hence the room was as black as anything.

At around eight p.m, Rotimi's phone rang. He ran to pick it up and found out that it was Bunmi. In the darkness, with the aid of the light from his phone, I could see a frown on his face as he fought with himself on whether to pick the call or not. The phone rang out. Just as he was about to drop it, it rang again.
''Ol boy, pick am make we hear wetin she wan talk.'' I had said.
''If the thing go vex you, carry am gi'me make I follow am yearn. You get am so?'' I said again.

By then, the call was coming in for the third time. He picked it and said, ''Hello!'' Rotimi said into the speaker.
''Hello sir, how are you sir? Hope you and sir Ade are okay? You got me worried. I came home and waited till around six. I called your lines and you two weren't picking up. Sir, you made me scared. What happened?'' She ranted on without waiting for and answer.
''Nothing extraordinary happened. We were busy that was why we couldn't pick your calls. We were having a discussion you would soon know about. When the time comes you will know. Just be prepared and relax. Okay?'' Rotimi explained.

To be candid, his explanation to the girl baffled me but I knew his mind was made up. He would not sleep with Bunmi again for anything in the world and that was why he told her to look forward to the discussion.
''Okay sir. Since you are both after our goodness, I shall wait and relay it to the others. Thanks sir. Good night and sweet dreams sir. Regards to Sir Ade.'' Bunmi said unaware that I had listened in on the call all through. Rotimi had put it on speaker immediately he picked it.
''Good night,'' Rotimi said and ended the call.
He dropped the phone and resumed his pacing. Soon, I was also lost in my own thoughts.

After about an hour of brain wracking, hard and stressed thinking, an idea occured to me. It was to seek professional help from one of our lecturers.

Dr. Tanimowo Olumide was a doctor of Psychology. He had been our lecturer in our third year. We became known to him through our foolish acts in his class because we had thought that his course was just an addition to our total course units. It was a borrowed course. He had taken to us and we had become regulars in his office. He was even on our reference list. How we had forgotten about him till then escaped me. Thank God we still remembered on time before our 24 hours elapsed.

''Ol boy, come I don see solution. Na Dr. Tanimowo we go tell. Him go get solution for us.'' I told Rotimi the outcome of my thought. He was elated.

''Haba! Ade, see us o! We be serious mumu o, see as we get hoe for house come dey use our hands pack shit. Ol boy, to talk say we still greet am last week o. Boy, you be genius o. I too like you. If you no be my friend eh, I fit commit suicide o. Thank you padi mi. My head don dull o. Na you dey always save us from any shit wey we enter. The next one na me go solve am.'' He ranted on elatedly.

I laughed as he made me remember previous troubles we had both fallen into. In secondary school, we were one week, one trouble and in the university, we had gotten into numerous troubles with either the lecturers or our fellow students and even the dare-devil cultists in our school. One way or the other, we had always wriggled out of them through inspiration from either of us. But the funny thing was that the brain behind the escape would credit it to the other. Such was our ways.

With solution now in sight, we remembered that the last meal we had was in the school during the break. Hunger had sewn a garment in our stomachs.

Just then NEPA brought back power and everywhere was flooded with light. We headed to the kitchen to take garri and water before heading to the streets to get Suya to accompany it on the night journey we were about to send it.

We tackled our food and cleared up before heading to bed peacefully after deciding to place a call through to Dr. Tanomowo in school the next day.
Meanwhile, all actions with the girls were suspended till further notice.

Morning came and we went to school with renewed vigour to tackle the day..

© Yettocome™ 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment