Translate

Saturday 14 May 2016

The Triangle

The Triangle
Three

Love is life and life in love. For life to live, it needs love and for love to be alive, it must possess life  – Anonymous…

It was a big sigh of relief that Adeolu heaved when the cast of the movie began scrolling by. The film had ended. Time for the next stage of the plan. The lights came on and the beauty of the hall, which he had earlier taken in, came alive again. This is not the time to check out the hall for a second time, a more beautiful work was waiting to be done.

“Pretty, sorry I am calling you that. I can’t but say that because that is what you are,” Adeolu said as the other occupants of the hall begin to find their way out.
The lady looked at the disturbance beside her and thought of the best way to get rid of it – sorry him.
“What exactly do you want with me, please?” she said.

Adeolu knew how to deal with such women. They fall so easily after all. He had dealt with many of her kind – proving difficult to get but having interest in him – they believe their seeming hard outward appearances and actions will put an interested man off but they are often mistaken. Only lily-livered men back out after a façade of difficulty from a woman. He knew what to do – the soft treatment!

They were almost outside the waiting area of the Cinema and he stole a glance at the cashier, who was an indirect instrument of fate in the business at hand. He had no time to say goodbye or give a feedback of the movie he had seen. That can be done another day.

He knows he needed to get her to a seat for anything he has to say to have any effect. The lady was slowed down by the way he walked and both of them were reduced to three steps per ten seconds as they talked and walked. Adeolu needed to get her to agree to a seat before they descend from the elevator but; first of all, introduction.

“I am sorry Pretty, I do not mean to be a pest but one could hardly help oneself if one sees a quite attractive and well mannered lady – given that such are scarce in our present-day society. I don’t want much from you – rather I’d say I want a lot from you but only time and you will reveal it.
“Never mind my manners. The name of the trouble that has been pestering you in the last one hour – more or less – is Adeolu. I will only request for one thing from you. To seat over a drink. Would you oblige me that please?”

The lady wondered what was in Adeolu’s head but she could not place it. She thought she knew where he was heading to but she seemed to have lost it herself.

“All men are the same, they get what they want and leave you dry without getting home,” she thought to herself.
“He is looking for a wife and you are one of the targets. Better use your brain girl.”

As the thoughts battle in her mind, she decided to give a listening ear to whatever he has to say. At least one more friend today, will do her no harm. More so, she needed friends.

“What would we be doing over a drink, Mr. Adeolu?” she asked an obvious question with a very serious look on her face. By then their movement had come to a complete stop. They were standing just outside the entrance to the Cinema’s reception.
“Nothing Pretty. Nothing at all. We will just sit there and have the drinks to cool off from the effects of the movie we just saw.”

His face showed no expression. He was striking a cord. A wrong or right one, only time would tell. She paused to look at him and wondered if he meant what he had just said. They would just sit and drink doing nothing. But he had been talking without drinks. Could he be serious? She wished he had said something else. There was no way she would waste her time over drinks doing nothing.

“I am sorry. I don’t cool off over drinks with strangers. I would rather cool off at home and alone,” she said with a smirk on her face.
Adeolu was excited. He had gotten the response he wanted. She is more brilliant than he had thought. She was playing along and really trying to be tough.
“But really, why would a pretty Pretty sit on a seat alone in her house and cool off? Cooling off with strangers would do you no harm, rather it makes strangers become known.
“And if I checked well, I don’t seem to strike you as a stranger. You know my name and have met me for more than an hour. I think I am not qualified for the post of a stranger to you. You seem to be the stranger here Pretty.”

The lady still wondered what he wanted to gain from all these he was putting her through. He seemed to be right. She had made friends from strangers and no one would believe they weren’t friends from the way he had stood close to her. She is the stranger there truly – she knew his name and yet she had yet to give him hers. There was no harm in listening to him over a drink because she knew intuitively that there would definitely be talks. What an intelligent guy! He wanted her to figure out things herself rather than feeding her with words and details.

“Alright, you win Mr. Adeolu. I will have a drink with you on two conditions; we won’t be staying long and two I don’t sit in bars. Lest I forget, I am not Pretty, my name is Omolola. Friends and acquaintances call me the shorter Lola. Can we leave here please?”
“Another bravo for me! Thumbs up for me!” Adeolu said to himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment