Translate

Monday 21 April 2014

The Rape

The room was cosy. It was very warm. The day had been very moderate with the rain cooling us up after a hell of sunshine.
I was rolling lazily around on my bed. I had no roommate, thanks to my mum who had insisted that I lived alone. She had spared no effort in making comfortable in school. I begged her to let me live in the school hostel but she vehemently refused and got me the one-room apartment, which had a toilet and bath en suite, I lived in throughout my stay in school.
I am a fourth year student and I have just been raped by a girl. How? You sure asked. Come along and see.
I was not the only child but I was the only male child she had ever had. She had three females who all died in their second year. Then she had my elder sister and she stayed. Then she tried again. Alas! Another girl! Then I came.
She told me that they were both jubilant when I was born; she and my father. My two elder siblings loved and showered me with all care and affection but mum made sure I was not spoilt.
So I was cared for but not spoilt. This I think was responsible for my lack of time for the female folk. Anything beyond a normal handshake and the reciprocative reply, I am out of it. I had more male friends than females but I had more female enemies and admirers than males. I never knew till it happened.
What made me brilliant, I never knew. Upbringing? Nurture? School? It still escapes me. I just grew up to know that I never came second in the terminal examinations. I represented my schools at the local and international competitions and won many personal and collective laurels for both myself and school. I had many friends and admirers. Still, mum made sure it never got into my head.
Then I got admission into one of the country’s private varsities and thus started my woes.
I got admission into the university at the age of sixteen, when most of my mates were still battling with their school certificate examinations. I was admitted into the school, which boasted of up to date facilities, to study Petroleum Engineering for five years. I loved challenges and took up this squarely hoping to continue my wonderful trailblazing form.
What announced me in the school till now is still a wonder that escapes my imagination. I began my educational career as low as possible making just two friends, Kunle, a second year engineering student living in my hall and Tola, a course mate.
All was going smoothly for me till the first semester of my sophomore year.  I never answered questions in class and I don’t stay more than five minutes after my lectures for the day had ended. I was a ‘triangular-life styled’ student. I leave home to class, class to the library, and library back to my home in town. Once in a while I go to church. My prayers are said in my room. 
First I noticed the girls in our class trying to get close one after the other and innocently, I allowed them. They all had one intention as they said; to study with me and increase their G.P. I had no problem with that because Tola even was benefitting from my large store of knowledge as he called it and had told me more than once that I was his saving grace in our first year second semester exams.
I became a teacher to different sort of girls and it never affected me an inch. My room became a sort of Mecca to all girls in my class and our level for tutorials in our departmental and general courses. Nothing do I need from them and nothing do I collect from them. I was more than comfortable.
Gradually, they began sleeping over in my room, especially when we have pressing assignments and exams to write. I had no ulterior motive towards any one of them. It was purely educational and platonic. Anywhere I moved to on our small campus, someone must know me and call my name. I was very popular and this did not go down well with me. Yet, there was little I could do about it.
Then a new girl joined us at the beginning of our third year, her name was Sandra. Sandra was a tall, lithe, and beautiful. She had the right things in the right places and got even my almost celibate self out of my self-imposed exile. I could even had tried to say something in the line of asking out but she was older than I was and not really my kind of girl.
Sandra was a social rat who hardly had time for studies. She was known by all within the first three months of her arrival in school hence, I kept my distance from her because I am a recluse when it comes to being social.
Then Sandra came to me one quiet afternoon in my room. I was napping when I heard a knock. I was shocked because I had told everybody that I would not be entertaining any guest for the day. I opened the door and saw her standing there smiling like one who had won a jackpot. I could have stood there for eternity if not for her voice that I heard.
“Won’t you allow me in?” she asked.
I shifted and she came in confidently and nodding her head as she assessed my room. Then she said,
“You are surprised at how I knew your place. I know whatever I want to know and I get whatever I want to get. You are comfortable for a brilliant boy yet you live like a pauper. You must be from a rich home. Come and sit down now.”
Her voice jolted me from the spot to which I was riveted and I moved slowly to my bed where I sat absentmindedly not shifting my gaze from the enigma in front of me.
“What is it I can do for you Sandra? And why come uninvited to people’s homes?” I said finally after I had found my voice.
She scoffed and said,
“I am sorry for not telling you before barging in unto you, but that is what is called a surprise. Then, to my reason for coming. I want you to help with my courses; I need someone to explain things to me and you fit perfectly into the picture. That’s why I came. Can we start immediately?”
I was not surprised at the request, I knew all along and that day we ended up covering five courses together and by the evening of the day, she left for her house which I knew not till date. I actually made it a point of duty not to visit any lady in her house for the fear of the unknown.

Sandra became a friend and she was the only lady who would pop into my room unannounced since she knew that I hardly travel home. We chatted, discussed things in general and she told me about all her secrets. Things that were unknown to anybody.
Then on the last day of the semester, Sandra dropped the bombshell.
“I have noticed that you have no girlfriend in this school. You also hardly make calls to any girl except your mum and elder sisters. Why?”
“My bag and books are my girlfriends and I don’t need to call them since they are always with me. I am still too young for such; I need to face my books for now. And moreover I have not seen any girl that I like on campus.”
“So that means you are yet to be with any girl since you were born.”
“Maybe, maybe not.”
“What if I tell you that I would like to be your girlfriend and would like to have you even if it is just for a week?”
“Thank God you haven’t said it. You just think of it. My answer would be no anytime you want to say it. You are not my kind of girl and you are even older than I am, so, let’s face it, you aren’t good for me,” I had said innocently and bluntly.
She took it calmly without making a fuss of it. Then we went on the holidays.
At the start of the new school year, I began avoiding Sandra. I slept less in my room and stayed more with Kunle and Tola. All meetings between us was limited to the class, library and once in a while the front of my room.
Our third year went fast and uneventfully and I was once again grateful to gallivant around the homes of my mum and married siblings.
Year four began and Sandra began to try again to get too close but I kept to my old schedules. Then one day…
Rumours were rife that there was a ladies cult in our school but nobody paid any attention to it because we had thought that since we had no male cult group how would the females form such a society.
It was one of the days that I had to sleep in my room. I had old Sandra in the afternoon that I wanted to travel and I would come back the next day and she had wished me a safe journey.
I had just finished my assignments and reading when I heard a tap on my door. I was afraid because of all my neighbours, only Kunle was aware that I was around and I had told him I would not like to be disturbed. I opened the door to see Kunle sweating profusely. I wanted to ask him what was wrong because he had an air conditioner in his room and there had been power for three days, when I was shoved into the room with him by four masked figures holding different kinds of deadly weapons. Two were holding locally made pistols and a butcher’s knife each while the other two were holding chain saws and a belt with nails or rather pins on them.
These figures pushed us in and onto my bed then bolted the door. They then began laughing hysterically as they saw us sweating like sallaah rams under the air conditioner. Then one of them spoke,
“Why are you two sweating? Now you will be saying you are men. Sit up!” We scrambled to our feet and sat again with the speed of lightning.
They were females but what came out of my mouth was;
“Please sir, what do you want? I have money at home and I have new textbooks you can sell. Please sir, spare us. Spare our lives. We would do whatever you want.”
If I had known I wouldn’t have said that. But who wouldn’t say such, I never knew what I was saying.
One of the girls laughed;
“So even after hearing our voice, you are still using sir for us. Maybe we need to let you see us. Lest I forget, you said you will do anything we want.”
“Yes sir! Yes sir!!” chorused Kunle and I.
Then they removed their masked and when I saw their faces I must have passed out. It was Sandra and three other girls in our class.
After they must have revived me, Sandra said,
“Is this your mum’s place you said you were going? Since I told you of my affection for you, you have been avoiding me. Am I not beautiful enough? Or are you impotent? Whichever one, I intend to find out tonight with these sisters of mine. Remember I told you that whatever I want, I always get it. I want you and I am getting you this morning.”
It was like a dream to me. I didn’t believe my ears. The other girls nodded their heads in agreement and before I could protest they asked me to lie on my bed.
Expertly, they undressed me after sending Kunle out of the room. When I had become as naked as I was born, another girl whose name I know not said,
“You have been running away from it. You have been keeping it for a long time, it’s going to feed today. Maybe you think it’s a joke. These guns are loaded and are not for fun, any funny move, you might end up telling your tale in the grave.”
Evidently, there was little I could do. As they tried to tie my hands and I struggled but Sandra slapped my face with the flat side of the knife and opened my window and the mosquito nettings a bit and shot the loaded gun which sent shivers down my spine.
I was tied hands and feet and laid on the bed like a sacrificial lamb. The four of the laughed sarcastically as they looked at me naked and pleading with tears in my eyes. They had become stoned with drugs. The female cult really existed in our school.
One by one they undressed and played with one another before mounting me the object of their play. Sandra started and did not leave until she was tired. The others took turns till I passed out again. They woke me again and continued till I passed out again…
By the time I woke up, my mouth was gagged and my wrists and ankles ached from the tying. I looked around, they were gone. They left no sign. Kunle came and took me to the clinic where I was treated but I couldn’t say what happened.
I cant go to school since that day and it’s close to two weeks now. The girls came after that and dared me to tell the Police which I was too ashamed to do. I know I have to go back to class and pray none of such happens again.


And now as I roll around on my bed, the event of that night keep running around my head…

No comments:

Post a Comment